Sunday, March 6, 2016

Famous Last Words: Week 7

I read The Five Tall Sons of Pandu by Richard Wilson for my chosen version of the Mahabharata this week. I liked the fact that the story did not focus on Gods or magical weapons. The characters had fantastic abilities, but they did not distract me from the character development and plot. Especially when compared to the public domain edition of the Mahabharata. This version felt more like a character drama and adventure story than the Public Domain Edition, and I enjoyed these differences.
File:Pandavas.jpg
The Pandavas, from Wikipedia
This week I also added another story to the portfolio, Baka's Cave. I chose to write this story because I wanted to branch out and try a new style of writing. The darker and tenser style of this story was a challenge for me personally. I had never written anything like it before. Most of my writing is more cheery and upbeat, especially in this class where the stories seem to be more cheery and upbeat to me. But I am ultimately happy with how the story turned out, so I added it to the portfolio. I hope you guys enjoy reading it.

My writing this week was also a different style for me. I tried to change the ending of the battle between Arjuna and Karna so that Arjuna lost, and the Pandavas lost the war following the battle. I felt like Arjuna not giving Karna respite was a low moment just as when Rama killed Sugriva's brother in an ambush.

This semester most of my other major related classes have felt like chores in a lot of ways. The weekly routine of homework and studying has really been grinding me down. However, now that the first round of tests have ended I'm feeling more motivated to do what it takes to finish out the semester strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment