Sunday, March 20, 2016

Week 9 Reading Diary: Twenty Jataka Tales

This week I will be covering Twenty Jataka Tales by Noor Inayat, link. This post will cover Part A.

Image depicting many Jataka Tales, from Wikipedia

  • These stories again are replacing humans with animals. I still find it odd that the Asian religions (to me at least) are the only ones who regularly do this. 
  • I don't know who is morally right in this first story, the monkeys or the men. Both want the fruit only for themselves. 
  • All of these animals seem to be choosing chiefs who are the greatest of their kind, and then these chiefs impart lessons to the human kings in their sacrifice. 
  • This story of the Deer and the King reminds me of Baka and the villages under his control. 
  • I'm just wondering how many animals had to die so that each King could learn every lesson they needed to. 
  • Also, if you actually met someone as morally righteous as the characters in these stories, they would likely be the most obnoxious person imaginable. 
  • I have read some of these stories in others collections of short stories for this class, I thought I was having deja vu until I realized it. 
  • These stories do make good replacements for parables, I suppose it is easier to keep people engaged with stories of animals than kings and peasants. 
  •  I do not understand why the leaders in this story attempt to trick their followers into doing bad things, maybe it is to show their moral superiority and intelligence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment