Friday, January 29, 2016

Famous Last Words: Week 2

For my reading this week I read the first half (Part A and B) of the Public Domain Edition of the Ramayana. Check it out here. I thought the story was interesting, but I found it hard to read initially. It took me a while to learn how to read the prevalent style of writing, it also didn't help that some of the stories had different authors, and therefore different writing styles. Still, I enjoyed reading it all the while. I look forward to wrapping it up in Week 3.

For my extra credit reading this week I read Part A of Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie Shedlock. Here is the link. I liked these more than the Ramayana, I found the stories easier to follow. I also liked how many of the characters were plants and animals. For example, when Buddha was born as a tree, I knew that he would be strong and patient. It made the themes and points of the stories stand alone from the characters, much like the Parables in the Bible. I think that it also helped that I am more familiar with the story of Buddha than the story of Rama. I look forward to continuing reading this as the semester continues.

In this class I would have to say SusieBookworm wrote easily the most unique story I saw this week. Updates from Exile  covers the story of Rama and his exile in the forest through a series of Facebook posts.

The first post in Updates from Exile

As far as other classes are concerned, this was the first real week of school. Homework was assigned, quizzes were taken, and test dates are already looming. My lab for the semester also started, and that is sure to take up a good portion of my time this coming semester.

Thanks for reading guys, keep checking for more work soon.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew, it was pleasant meeting you outside of this course thanks to Ms. Gibbs. I am anxious about drilling lab starting up and was curious to see if you would like to collaborate ideas when that course starts to pick up. Also you should send me an email of your schedule so I can see if we have any other classes together. See you around Sarkeys.
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete