Saturday, January 23, 2016

Week 2 Storytelling: The Forest

Jeff loved spending his weekends hunting. As soon as deer season opened in the fall, the local townsfolk often spotted Jeff leaving for the woods in the morning and not returning until he had bagged his quarry. So many people in his local town considered him to be the best hunter that, even though Jeff was a humble man, he began to believe it himself. Jeff loved when people would ask for advice about hunting. He enjoyed the feeling of knowing the most about a topic and the satisfaction it brought. Over the years, Jeff began to develop hubris when it came to hunting. He truly believed he could do no wrong.   

On what seemed to be a regular Saturday, Jeff had driven out to his deer lease. In a far corner the weekend before, he had picked up the tracks of a group of deer moving between a thick brush area and a local stream, and he wanted to investigate further. Climbing into a tree stand and shouldering his rifle, Jeff waited for the deer to move under him on the way to their morning drink. He had waited for close to an hour, silent and still, when he heard the sound of fall leaves being crushed underfoot. Turning slowly, Jeff laid his sights on the bush where the noise had come from. As soon as he saw movement, Jeff fired. In response he heard a sharp exhalation and the sound of dead weight hitting the ground. Figuring he had had another successful hunt, Jeff slowly climbed down from his tree stand and walked over to investigate his kill.  

What Jeff saw before him immediately made him sick to his stomach. A man, rifle slung around his shoulder and binoculars hanging from his neck, lay dead before him with a bullet hole in his stomach. Before Jeff had fully processed what had happened, another sound erupted from the brush behind him. Jeff turned and saw another tall man with a beard emerging from the brush, and then decided to run. While sprinting back to his truck, Jeff figured he only had hours of freedom before the police caught up with him. Back at his house, he began to get his affairs in order and get his story straight. He found the number for his lawyer and debated whether the jury would understand how even a great hunter like himself could make a mistake. However, no one came.  

Jeff spent the next two days locked in his home agonizing about what he had done before he was forced to venture out for food. He picked up a newspaper while in line at the cashier and saw that the investigation into who had shot the man was ongoing, but the police had no suspects. The man Jeff had shot was from the next county over, a town about 30 minutes away. 

"Crazy, ain't it?" said the cashier, startling Jeff. 

"Yeah... I'm just glad it didn't happen to me" was all Jeff managed to meekly reply.  

Jeff returned home and decided to try and get on with his life. There was no one who knew that he went out that way that morning, and he left no evidence there. Jeff was free, but he was racked with guilt every day for the next year. Deciding he couldn't take it anymore, Jeff returned to the old deer lease to look for some form of forgiveness or closure. While kneeling down near the bush, a shot rang out. Jeff's corpse slumped forward. A tall man with a beard stepped out from behind a tree, and walked away.  

Author's Note: My story is inspired by the tale of King Dasharatha's KarmaIn this story, King Dasharatha accidentally kills a young man while he is hunting because of his own hubris and confidence in his abilities as a hunter. Shortly afterwords, King Dasharatha is discovered by the man's parents. 
I made a few changes to my story. None of my characters are royalty, of course. Additionally, the reaping of Karma occurs much sooner than in the original story of King Dasharatha. The King is a young man when this happens in his life and the events related to it through Karma are what kills him as an old man. However, Jeff and King Dasharatha both share similar attitudes about their own abilities as hunters. As a note, hubris is an excessive amount of self-confidence. Also, much like in the original story, the details about who Jeff killed are significant. Both the person who Dasharatha and Jeff killed are somehow related to their deaths. King Dashartha kills and loses a son for example.The story is about Jeff, and his decisions. 
I chose the image I did because I felt it conveyed the atmosphere I was trying to emulate. It was dark under the trees, but not so pitch black that no one could be expected to see. The readers should understand that what happened is Jeff's fault. Part of my motivation for this was to illustrate the fact that Jeff was not necessarily a bad person, but the consequences were the fault of his own actions. Jeff could have easily replaced the Bearded Man in this story, and he would still be doing a bad thing, but the reader can understand why it happened 

Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie, published in 1913. Link.

Image: Image of a forest, courtesy of Travels with Tricia

12 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    You did a really good job with this storytelling post. I truly was not expecting it to end the way that it did. I liked the way that you did the character development from being a humble hunter to one that was so confident that he figured he could do no wrong. The way that you incorporated karma in your story was well done. I appreciate that the theme was obvious without you explicitly pointing it out.

    My only suggestion is that you change the size of your image. It overflows onto your sidebar where your tags are. If you hover over the image when writing your post, there are size options that pop up. It's a minor adjustment that is a bit nit picky, but it might distract some people (and it was the only thing that I could find what could be considered "wrong" with this post).

    One again, you did an amazing job with this story. I really enjoyed it. Good job and I look forward to the stories you will tell the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to figure out how to do that. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, this was a very dramatic story and I was on the edge of my seat as I got closer to the end. I almost felt the dread I felt when I read The Telltale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. I like that you focused the story just on a single character and his emotions. This was a big contrast from the version of the original story that I have read, and it made the ending more intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,
    Thank you for sharing this gripping tale. I was really impressed by how you ended the story with the bearded man getting retribution on Jeff and then abruptly ending it. You did a great job in getting me involved in the story through your detailed descriptions of the scene. I have to say I wanted to know more, but you made it up to the reader to wonder what happened next which I felt was even better! You did a phenomenal job on showing the torment that had stricken Jeff due to his actions. I really wanted to know what the relation to the murdered man the bearded man was. Was he family, friend, or another hunter that just happened to witness the crime? What if you expanded what happened when Jeff returned to the scene of the crime and had the bearded man stalking him. Again, thank you for sharing and I really enjoyed this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Andrew!
    You are so talented at creatively describing a scene. I was transported into the forest, and could picture Jeff climbing up the tree to hunt for deer. This was such a unique interpretation to the original story. It also provides education on gun and hunting safety, which is especially important in the modern day. My family owns large properties, and we enjoy hunting. The bad thing is, others also enjoy hunting on our land – so watching out for these unknown people is essential. Again, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story is very dramatic and I enjoyed every bit of it. It does relate well to the story of King Dasharatha’s Karma. The reason for the death of Jeff and King Dashratha was the agony and pain that they both were suffering from. From reading your story, Jeff was having a hard time dealing with the fact that he did wrong and wanted some kind of forgiveness to move on but ended up with a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew,

    Wow! This story was a great example of how pride can cause people to overestimate their own skill level and lead to lack of following regulation because they do not think it applies to them. I wonder if Jeff did not have such an issue with his hubris then this incident would not have happened. Throughout the story, there were a great amount of details that allowed me to paint a picture of the nature of the woods and the actions of the deer, for example. The plethora of details is what enabled me to envision the story playing out, as if I were watching it in a movie. I found it shocking that the police had no leads in the investigation. It leads me to believe that the boy’s father was intentionally stingy in offering up evidence because he knew that there could be a possibility to seek revenge himself. Great job on the story, it was a wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great story! It captivated my attention all the way through. I really like reading about karma in stories; it’s just satisfying to see people get what they deserve whether its for good or bad things they have done. This shows you why we should always stay humble. Everyone makes mistakes. You did a good job setting the story and making Jeff similar to King Dasharatha. This was a great way to bring the story to the present and make it more relatable to your audience. You ended the story with a great cliffhanger. I have so many questions for the man with the beard. Why didn’t he chase Jeff in the first time they met or shoot him then? Who was the man that Jeff shot? Did he spend everyday for the next year at that exact spot waiting for Jeff to return? Why didn’t he go to the police?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danang what a twist at the end! I feel like I could have done a little fist pump for that justice being served. I really liked your story and I wouldn't even consider myself a hunter. I really liked the picture you used in your story too, it helped set the scene in my mind. Your story made me think about the importance of being humble. I wish Jeff had someone like a mentor in his life that would have told him about what it means to be confident yet humble. I wonder how good of a hunter Jeff truly was when he allowed himself to get lazy and shoot into the bush without getting good look at what he thought was a deer. The man with the beard seems like he must be a very dedicated guy and friend to the man who was killed. I envisioned him going to that same spot for countless days in a row waiting for the man to show up who committed the crime. Great ending to the story! Hopefully I will be able to read more in the future, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Andrew,
    I enjoyed reading your retell story. I enjoyed every single bit of the story. I was in full concentration throughout the story. I liked it how it was dramatic story. I was not expecting the ending to be like that, however, it was a nice idea to do that. I liked it how you were creative throughout and descriptive along with that. The stories with the description are always great. It was nice how changed the story from the original. I liked the whole idea behind the story. It was a great story overall and once again the great detail you had in made it best. I am looking forward to read more of your blogs. Thanks for sharing. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew,

    You have done an amazing job from what I have seen. I read two of your stories, this one and “It Ain’t Easy Being Me”. First I will tell you that from the other story I found it to be quite comical. I enjoyed reading Hanuman’s side. He does not receive the credit that he deserves, and he is looked over in my opinion. But you did a great job in expressing the characters feelings, and describing his tasks to the audience. Great Job!

    I enjoyed reading “The Forest” very much! This story gave me an eerie feeling while reading it. It reminded me of something off of Investigation ID. I like that while reading the story I was able to question the morals and motives of Jeff. I would have thought that he would have turned himself in instead of hiding out. I also came to the conclusion that the bearded guy had to have been following him around waiting for him to do so, which is creepy. Once again, you have done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, Andrew!

    This story grabbed my attention because it involved deer hunting! I started hunting a few years ago, and some of the most creative stories I have read in the class have involved hunting. Yours was no different! I could totally relate to that excitement of shooting a deer, and I could totally imagine the horror he must have felt when he realized he had actually shot a person, instead. While we can all speculate about what we would do if we were in his position, it would be so hard to really know until it happened. While I would hope I would do the right thing and call the police, I can absolutely understand why he ran.
    You did such a great job of making his terror apparent through your vivid descriptions. I genuinely felt for him the entire time. In a weird way, his own death was probably the closure he was looking for. Overall, I really enjoyed your story. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete